Infusing raw cannabis into melted butter creates an infusion known as canna butter. Cannabutter is something that many people would love to know how to make, and its quite simple.
While Cannabis-infused butter (cannabutter) is one of the simplest and most common ways to make medicated foods, making infused butter properly can get a little bit tricky. In order for THC to properly decarboxylate—change from its acid form to its psychoactive form—the cannabis needs to be heated at low temperatures over long periods of time.
If you want to make top quality cannabutter the key is ‘low and slow’
1 pound unsalted butter
2 cups water
1 ounce decarboxylated, ground cannabis buds, or 2 ounces decarboxylated dried, ground, and trimmed cannabis leaf
Large glass bowl
Strainer or sieve that ts in the glass bowl
Lidded glass jar (to store the finished cannabutter)
- In a large saucepan, bring the butter and water to a rapid simmer (just below a boil—the liquid will be active, with small bubbles consistently rising to the surface) over medium heat until the butter melts.
- Whisk in the cannabis.
- Reduce the heat to low and bring the mixture to a slow simmer (there will be very little movement in the liquid, with small bubbles occasionally rising to the surface). Do not let the mixture boil.
- Cook for 5 hours, stirring every 90 minutes or so. Add additional warm water if needed (you don’t want all the water to boil out).
- While the butter cooks, line a strainer or sieve with cheesecloth and place it over a large glass bowl.
- After 5 hours, pour the butter slowly through the cheesecloth into the bowl. Press down on the cannabis with a spatula to extract all the butter.
- Fold the cheesecloth, and use the spatula to push any remaining cannabutter into the bowl. Discard the cheesecloth.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 3 hours (overnight is better). The mixture will separate into solid butter and liquid water.
- Remove the butter from the fridge, discard the water, and slide a butter knife around the edges to remove the cannabutter from the bowl.
- Transfer the butter to a glass jar with a lid and store it in the fridge or freezer.
Good luck in your future cannabis recipes. Please share any feedback or photos in the comments below.